Tuesday 31 July 2012

2015: The Fashola-Kukah Joker

Despite my precocious interest in national politics that saw me taking active interest in Nigerian politics from a time I can barely comprehend politics, I had always drawn a line between participating and discussing.
alt
The 2011 elections however saw me crossing my own line. Exasperated, like many Nigerians, on the evil PDP and its hawks had been inflicting on Nigerians since it gained power in 1999, taking active part in the attempt to dethrone the malignant PDP in 2011 was almost natural. I initially aligned myself with Nuhu Ribadu, who, warts and all, is a good man and no doubt passionate about moving Nigeria forward. Later, I pitched my tent with General Muhammadu Buhari, another man I believed can do the job of extricating Nigeria from the shackles of the behemoth that has continued to feed fat on Nigeria's collective patrimony while further pauperizing the hoi polloi that constitute the vast majority of the populace. I believed so much in the man Buhari and threw my full weight behind him, committing personal resources to the cause, including working with a number of anonymous online volunteers to raise close to one million Naira to campaign for him, most notably, sponsoring jingles in more than 5 radio stations in Lagos, Oyo, Osun and River states. I practically turned myself into Buhari's campaign manager, churning out articles almost on weekly basis in virtually all major Nigerian dailies, selling the Buhari candidacy. I did this much, never because of any direct personal gain, but because of the lamentably parlous state of things in this country. Unfortunately, Nigerians were not ready for change, as a PDP candidate that must have done a great job in Nigerians' psychology, sold the 'divine theory' dummy to them. The rest is history. The result has been unprecedented insecurity in the land and festering of wanton impunity. To my shelf I returned after the unsuccessful efforts to actualize a Buhari presidency.
Somehow, the outcome of 2011 elections sealed back my interest in active participation in Nigerian politics. Save a couple of write-ups I did post-elections, one to condole with the families of the slain youth corps members, the other an assessment of Jonathan presidency after 6 months, I had maintained a siddon look at Nigerian politics. But a recent political chat with a columnist and editor of a popular Nigerian daily may have reactivated my waning interest.
My columnist friend, like me, is fed up of PDP misrule and is yearning for change. To him, General Buhari is a great presidential material who should play active part towards dislodging PDP in 2015 but from the back seat. I reluctantly agreed with him. Reluctant for two reasons. One, I doubt any other candidate can garner massive northern votes, which is important even if insufficient to win the presidential election, like Buhari. Two, I have confidence in only a handful of other potential presidential candidates the way I do for Buhari. I however agree that the erroneous ethnic and religious baggage being unfortunately thrown into Buhari's aspiration will be extremely difficult, if possible at all, to assail. Add Buhari's age to that, it becomes harder not to agree with the columnist.
When I played the devil's advocate by telling my friend that I don't see any alliance upstaging PDP in 2015, he disagreed, quickly reminding me of the Senegal example. He strongly believes that an early alliance between Tinubu's AC and Buhari's CPC can be the joker, especially when the registered voters population is analyzed into the strongholds of the two parties. On paper, this looks feasible, but this is an oversimplified fact, as a number of considerations like northern PDP governors factor, PDP's financial war-chest and tendency to compromise electoral system, widespread post-election and Boko Haram violence- induced anti-north sentiments at the moment etc constitute real threats to that permutation.
In our discussion, a number of names came up as possible opposition consensus presidential candidate in 2015. He mentioned Nasir el-Rufai as possible CPC candidate. I am not too comfortable with el-Rufai, not because he is not a super performer, but because of some deficits around consistency and association. He it was who labelled Buhari perpetually ‘unelectable’ in 2010 and just few months later turned around to be Buhari’s loudest advocate. If I give him benefit of doubt over that, it is difficult for me to come to terms with his being a former active member of PDP that took very active part in the infamous installation of Umaru Musa Yar’adua as president, and his coming back later to hurl insults on Yar’adua when they fell apart. These don’t add up for me, and an el-Rufai candidacy is less than appealing to me. Performance, which I believe he has the capacity for as evidenced in his FCT ministerial tenure, should be combined with moral consistency, to make a good leader. If however he gets the ticket, he has my vote against the PDP candidate, which from all indications, will be President Jonathan.
My editor-friend, perhaps knowing me to be a huge admirer of Lamido Sanusi, also suggested Sanusi as a man opposition can present. I immediately interjected Sanusi candidacy is a Dead on Arrival (DOA). Sanusi is a man I believe will make a great president for his courage and passion, but you see, I am always being realistic. The same false issues people, southerners in particular, have with Buhari, also hang on Sanusi’s neck – you all know the issues, even though they are contrived. Plus a more liberal-minded Sanusi does not have the popularity of Buhari even in the north. In any case, I seriously doubt Sanusi will ever consider elective politics.
Nuhu Ribadu, in my opinion, has a more realistic chance of balancing the game as opposition candidate in 2015, if CPC and ACN come together, and Buhari and Tinubu actively and honestly work for him in their respective strongholds (core North and South-West). But having being used as a cannon fodder by ACN only in 2011, I doubt the Adamawa man will trust Tinubu again.
Bringing me to Babatunde Raji Fashola. After Buhari and Lamido Sanusi, Fashola is the another Nigerian political figure I have full confidence in in doing great works as president of Nigeria. Forget about his recent face-off with Lagos doctors and few similar cases in the past, the man Fashola is a visionary administrator par excellence. Perhaps South-West’s most visionary politician since Awolowo and Akintola, and he is fast surpassing the records of Lateef Jakande, the state’s action governor in the second republic. The pace of infrastructural development in Lagos is phenomenal. I have lived in Langbasa area of Ajah-Lagos for close to three years and that was an area I never thought the government was aware is existing until Fashola’s cranes and bulldozers arrived few weeks ago, to tar the entire road network in the area. This is one of the many capital projects the man is doing all over Lagos, even in the remotest of places, while other governors are celebrating grading of a 1 km road or constructing some white-elephant fly-over bridge – and that is those who do anything at all.
Fashola is a great presidential material anyday. If only Nigerians, especially our northern brothers, can sacrifice the undeniable regional balancing for political expediency and present Fashola as the CPC/ACN candidate, with Buhari and Tinubu vigorously working for him. Is a joker that can end PDP’s rule in 2015. Apart from a guaranteed performance, the man has considerable appeal in every region. Opposition should consider this option if truly their interest is not just about wresting power from PDP but providing good governance which has eluded the country. I would have suggested a Lamido Sanusi as running mate, to check the corruption and rot in the system while Fashola faces administration, but I’m not sure the Nigerian Christians will buy this, so I nominate Reverend Father Martin Hassan Kukah, a respectable northern Christian intellectual and priest as running mate. If this option is considered, I believe we may be in for an electoral el-Classico in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment