Saturday 21 July 2012

I said it. PDP can be whipped


Femi Adesina
The army of occupation that has vowed to hold us captive for a minimum of 60 years can be routed, given the shellacking of its life.  That was what the People of Edo State proved last weekend by giving the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) a bloody nose at the gubernatorial election.  Despite all manner of inducement, intimidation and resort to primordial sentiments, the people gave their votes massively to the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), represented by Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.

Many months before, it was apparent that the incumbent governor was headed for re-election through a landslide victory.  But as the month reduced into weeks and days, the picture began to look not so rosy and predictable.  The PDP came with all the tricks in the books.  It rolled out its armada of rigging and manipulation, and it seemed Edo was going to fall once again into the hands of a party whose slogan is ‘Share the Money.’  Yes, shout Pee-DEE-Pee at any gathering, and the people would respond: ‘Share the Money!’  And particularly in Edo State since 1999, the PDP had been busy sharing the money, while the people wallowed in abject misery, poverty and under-development.   Four years ago, Adams Oshiomhole came, after winning back his snaffled victory through the courts, and Edo State began to live.  For once, the people knew what it meant to have a leader, after a very long time.  And that was the wheel of progress the PDP sought to stymie last weekend.  But the people said a resounding no, and fixed the PDP real good.  You’ll find him, I’ll fix him.  That was what the people did.

You know I’m not a fan of PDP, not because I hate the party for any unjust reason, but simply because I believe that Nigerians should have got better deals through the 13 years in which the party has been in power at the centre, and in a large number of states in the country.  To show that my animus against PDP is not inveterate, or ingrained for no just cause, I have written this before, and write it again:  with the kind of development I saw in Gombe State under Alhaji Danjuma Goje (no matter what his political opponents may say), I’ll have voted for him again and again, if there was no maximum term limit of eight years in office.  And Rotimi Amechi?  As governor of Rivers State, I’ll vote for him again and again, with the revolution he’s spearheading in that state.  

And these are two dyed-in-the-wool PDP people.  But in Edo State?  Tufiakwa.  PDP shot itself in the foot through the nondescript eight years of Lucky Igbinedion in power as governor.  And when the people voted for change in 2007, their votes were purloined, and PDP rigged itself into power till the Court of Appeal gave the party a left leg of fellowship in 2008.   
What lessons can we learn from what happened in Edo State last weekend?  What strategies do we need to replicate as we resolve to rid ourselves of the PDP, particularly at the centre in 2015?  A legion. Rigging of election is only possible when the people acquiesce to it either through passivity or even subtle connivance.  But when the people know what they want, and go all out for it, let’s see the political party that will pull the wool over their faces.  

The PDP wanted Edo State at all costs, but the people said no, and resoundingly so.  In a true democracy, the will of the people matter.  The PDP is master in the art and science of electoral manipulation.  It has done it successfully at the centre, and in many states of the federation.  But each time the people rise up as one man, and say this is the direction we are going, the PDP gets a remarkable whipping.  In 2007, it happened in Abia, Kano and Bauchi states. 

 That was the year the PDP swept through the land like a hurricane, but people in those states stood their grounds.  Abia State was won by the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA), while Kano and Bauchi were won by the All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP).  The deduction?  PDP can only go as far as the people allow. Have you forgotten?  No, you can’t forget so soon.  Imo people also showed the way in the 2011 election.  They were tired of Ikedim Ohakim of the PDP as their governor.  Despite all the artifices, the stratagems and subterfuge, the people said it was time up for the PDP.  And they voted (APGA) into power.  In a piece with the headline, ‘Imo people show the way,’ which I wrote on May 13, 2011, I had stated: “Imo people have set a standard for Nigeria.  One day, true change will come to this country, but it will not come on a platter of gold.  It will come because the people are hungry and thirsty for it.”

  Yes, when the people truly pant and hanker for change, like the hart pants after the water brooks, not even PDP is formidable enough to stop them.  Will it be so in 2015?  I pray so.  But it is only a coalition of the people that can do it.  We can only bring change to this blighted country when we resolve to vote for change.

But it’s no tea party.  Ask Oshiomhole and Edo people.  In the few weeks and days to the election, the former labour leader was so rattled, that panic was visibly written all over him.  Don’t blame him.  PDP is no small beer.  A party that has a rigging manual?  A party that fixes you real good, and which was now on rampage at the homestead of the infamous Mr Fix it?  Anybody should panic.  But does it call for squeamishness and pussyfooting?  No. 

 “If they rig us out at the election, we will rig them out of life,” Oshiomhole declared in a newspaper interview few days to the poll.  Sabre-rattling?  Why not.  If elections are rigged, why shouldn’t dogs and baboons be covered in blood? Is rigging part of decency and statecraft?  Yes, the operative word is ‘if.’  Should anybody rig elections?  Should Oshiomhole have been like a sitting duck, while the PDP ran rings round him?  They would have clobbered him, pounded him till he saw stars.  

Brazen rigging as we saw particularly in 2003, 2007 and the scientific one of 2011, should no longer be brooked in our electoral life.  Anybody who tries it should have his dogs and baboons covered in blood, and we will not pity him.  “If they rig us out of the election, we will rig them out of life.”  Blood curdling, spine chilling, but I tell you, the PDP knows no other language.

Another lesson.  Ethnicity thrives when there is no better deal.  You saw the role ethnic sentiments would have played in Edo, if the people had fallen for the gambit.  A large swathe of the country fell for ethnic sentiment in 2011, and today they are filled with regret.  Till we learn to shun primordialism and pandering to primeval instincts and tendencies, so will our political Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey, continue to elude us.  I pray Nigerians will henceforth vote for capacity, ability to deliver, rather than saying this one is ‘our brother.’  What is the use of a brother who will eventually leave you in the lurch? There are other people that stick closer than even brothers.   But on the flipside, I think the stiff challenge Oshiomhole got in Edo is good for democracy.  

Months earlier, it had seemed the former labour leader would simply coast to a second term in office, a virtual walkover.  Till the PDP surged, and gave him the fright of his life.  It took a coalition of the people to rescue him from the encircling floodwaters.  And I pray he remembers.  Every day of his second term in office, let the Comrade-Governor remember that it was the people that stood by him, when the waters threatened to overflow him.  And let him serve them to the best of his ability.  Democracy would then be strengthened, and well served.

When 3,500 soldiers were deployed before the election, there was cause to fear.  Yes, were elections not brutally rigged under security cover in many states of the north in 2011, after the riots that broke out subsequent to the presidential poll?  But the people in Edo refused to be intimidated or browbeaten.  They comported themselves orderly and decently.  That is a vital lesson for us all in future elections.  Be alert, be watchful, but let the dogs and baboons lie in peace, except you want to see monkey tricks.

The party is over for the PDP in Edo State, and it may remain so for a long time to come, as long as the party in power serves the people well.  I like how constitutional lawyer, Barrister Fred Agbaje, sums up the scenario: “Edo State and her people have been liberated from politics of darkness, economic retrogression, and Stone Age politics of irresponsible godfatherism.  It’s goodbye to money politics in Edo State, and welcome to a performing party and its governor.  

The biggest lesson from the victory of Oshiomhole to the Federal Government is that it is our performance index that can win election, not rigging, empty boast, threats, money politics or godfatherism.  The so-called political godfathers in Edo State who have unabashedly profited from the economic retrogression of that state prior to ACN emergence should shamefully be issued a red card from the political arena by Oshiomhole’s victory immediately.”

How delicious and very scrumptious.  Someday soon, we will also issue PDP the red card at the centre.  We will fix the party for good.  How sweet the sound will be!


Mike Awoyinfa: Our teacher turns 60



My first meeting with Mike Awoyinfa was on this wise:  In January 1989, I was a Current Affairs Officer at the Radio Lagos.  I wrote news analyses, did personality interviews, reviewed newspaper reports and editorials. I enjoyed the work, but my heart was really in newspaper writing.  I love to write, and I believed working in a newspaper would give me greater fulfilment.

Concord Press was planning to come up with a Saturday newspaper, Weekend Concord, and the midwife was Mike Awoyinfa, a man I’d read for years, and whose writing style I’d fallen in love with.  What then did I do?  Awoyinfa was still Features Editor of National Concord and was not to assume his new position till about two months later.  So, I did a feature piece on the art of naming of bus stops in Lagos.  How did the name Agidingbi come? What of Alasia?  Ijeshatedo Bus Stop?  Mile 2?  Mile 12?  I did historical excursions, and titled the piece: ‘Naming of bus stops in Lagos, a study in creativity.”  Armed with it, I stormed the Concord Press along the Murtala Muhammed Airport road.

I had a brother in Concord Press then.  His name is Dayo Ojo, who was later to go into banking, became a director at Transcorp, and now in the advertising world. I first showed him the piece I’d written.  He was with somebody, who was introduced to me as Larry Echiejile (now Izamoje).  They both read the piece, and I remember Larry saying: “Yes, the language is Awoyinfa’s.  You can take it to him.” So Awoyinfa even had a language? Wonderful.  Rather tentatively, I walked to his office, not sure of what I would meet.  And there he was, at his desk in the Features Editor’s office of National Concord.  I introduced myself, and handed him the script.  

He began to read it.  After a few minutes, he looked up and asked: “Did you write this?”  I said yes.  Awoyinfa got up and began to shout, moving towards the general office and shaking my script.  “Come and see what this young man has written.  Come and see.  Come and see o,” calling out to his staff members.

I was both shaken and embarrassed.  Small me?  How can the great Mike Awoyinfa, whom I’d read from my undergraduate days, make so much of what I’d written?  I almost bolted out of the office in confusion.  He was shouting:  “You’ll be famous.  Yes, with this writing style, you’ll be famous.”

I tell you, I was flustered.  But that was the beginning of the enduring relationship with a man I consider my teacher and mentor in journalism.  Awoyinfa thereafter told me to go to Fela Anikulapo Kuti’s shrine, which was then at Pepple Street in Ikeja, urging me to be at my descriptive best, and do him an impressionistic story.  It turned out to be cover choice for the third edition of Weekend Concord, with the headline ‘Inside Fela’s kingdom.’

Like a rough, uncut diamond, Awoyinfa worked on me in the weeks and months ahead.  He gave me assignments, which he would praise to high heavens each time I submitted.  Gradually, he taught me how to get and give perspectives to news, and eventually in May 1991, I joined his team fully as a Senior Writer. For the next many years, we were to rock the newspaper scene with a team that comprised Awoyinfa himself, his deputy and friend (some say twin brother) Dimgba Igwe, Shola Oshunkeye, Lat Ogunmade, Sunday Umahi (now deceased), Eric Osagie, Ben Memuletiwon, Yetunde Oladeinde (the only female in the squad then), Blessyn Okpowo, 

Ose Oyamedan, Timothy Oyeola, Gbenga Opebi, Felix Asimole, Emma Otaru, Lanre Ajeboriogbon, Titilayo Balogun, and some others. My friend and colleague, Eric Osagie, would always say it, whenever we now talk about our old teacher: “He taught us everything we know today. He simply adopted us as his journalistic sons.”  Yes, Awoyinfa taught us a lot.  We probably had the talent, inborn skills to write, but he smoothened us out, turned us to reporters and writers, honed our skills.  For us, he is to journalism what Muhammed Ali is to boxing: The Greatest.

On Monday, July 23, Awoyinfa turns 60.  How time flies.  When he turned 40, I remembered the party we had at The Kitchen restaurant, then at Allen Avenue, Ikeja.  I was chosen to anchor the report, and the headline was ‘40 guests for Awoyinfa at 40.’  As he turns 60, the party this time will be at the Lagos Sheraton Hotel.  Will he have 60 guests?  The ‘do’ will come up on Saturday, August 5.

Have I seen a more creative headline caster?  Don’t think.  I never forget this one.  One time Works and Housing Minister, Gen Abdulkarim Adisa, had been accused of coup plotting in December 1997, and hurled before a military tribunal in handcuffs.  With a big picture of a sombre and pensive Adisa on the front page, Awoyinfa screamed the headline:  Adisaster.  That was tabloid journalism at its best.

Six years after he had taken me under his wings, I was promoted Features Editor of the National Concord.  Just imagine.  I now sat on that same seat, where I’d met Awoyinfa in 1989, as an aspiring writer.  
In 2002, Awoyinfa asked me to be part of the team that set up The Sun.  Naturally, I said yes (as if I could ever say no to my great teacher), and I became the pioneer editor Daily Sun, a position I held for five years.  Trust Awoyinfa, he was always there to back me up as Editor-in-Chief.

Awoyinfa is an incurable reporter, always hunting for news.  Whenever you see him, he has his tape recorder nearby.  In fact, Dimgba Igwe jocularly says the day he would appear before God, Awoyinfa would whip out his recorder, seeking an interview. Talking of God, you know that the Mike Awoyinfa of today is not the one we knew many decades ago.  He is now much more religious, and is our pastor on the back page of Saturday Sun, where he runs the PCPC (Press Clips Pentecostal Church).  But can we ever forget those crisp, sometimes irreverent pieces of years and years gone by? 

Dimgba Igwe, a pastor of many years standing, often accuses his friend of ‘iniquity.’  Of course, we know the many iniquities of our teacher, and I would have mentioned some of them, if only I’m sure Mrs Bukola Awoyinfa is not reading this piece.  But at 60, iniquity days should be truly over for our great teacher.  Is he not also now our pastor at PCPC?

A great birthday to our editor, friend and brother.  


Re: Buhari and 2015 (2)

Ordained by God Going through the barrage of reactions from readers on Buhari and 2015, I must say God has ordained Buhari to redeem Nigeria.  Our main problem is fake men of God misleading vulnerable Nigerians.  My people, please shine your eyes, ears and brains. Dr Omajaklekwu A. E.

Don’t be tired Please don’t be tired of the path of truth you have followed, especially on Gen Buhari.  May the Almighty God be with you. Abubakar, Abuja.

I’m sorry Before the election that brought Jonathan to power, there was a piece you wrote, and I phoned to attack you.  Now I know that you are right.  Jonathan’s administration is leading Nigeria to political and religious conflagration.  Just come to the South-east, all our roads are death traps.  I’m sorry for my past attacks against you.  You are a prophet, but I didn’t know.  May God help Nigeria. Modesty Anasiudu, Aba

We should face the consequences I was an ardent campaigner for Buhari in 2011.  From the responses I got, I realized that many Nigerians do not seem to want a better country.  They are fixated on the unsubstantiated portrayal of Buhari as a religious bigot and sectional leader.  Where we fail to have him in 2015, we should as well be ready to face the consequences. Barrister Ngozi Ogbomor

No doubt about it There’s no doubt Buhari will fight corruption to a standstill in Nigeria.  But I feel reluctant to say that for some reasons, we may not vote for him.  We need a Buhari brand actually, but not the man himself.  If he can endorse somebody, we will vote for that person. John Mgbe, Owerri

I’ll vote for him I like Buhari’s patriotic fervour, but he must also strive to eschew the latent and residual parochial propensity in him.   He needs a little more exposure, but not such as will dilute his fervour, righteousness and goodwill.  I will vote for him because comparatively, he’s a good man. Cherry Bluesky

Game of numbers Buhari has a track record of honesty that no one has been able to dent.  But will he be able to rule in a democratic setting?  It’s all about numbers, and the crooks will certainly gang up against him. Emmie Keanyi

We need it Your write-up is precise.  Buhari forever.  We need his uncommon discipline to move Nigeria forward. Udeme
            The chosen one Sometimes, I feel like knocking sense real hard into some of my friends’ brains, so that the scale of anti-Buhari that blinds them will fall off.  There’s no gainsaying that Buhari is the chosen one. Damisah Den O., Ikeja  

I feel like crying Whenever I read your articles on Buhari, I feel like crying for Nigeria and her ignorant ones, who have refused to appreciate the man.  They cry over bad leadership, when they have the real leader here with them.  The man Buhari is my leader. Ikeh Ejidike

Extra-terrestrial forces Buhari is a great man, just like some great but unknown Nigerians.  Our democracy has become technical project where a great man can be humbled into a grass eater by forces that are extra-terrestrial but propelled by humans. Rev Monye J. Gold

The 7-star General The truth is crystal clear.  Buhari has always been the best candidate, but evil men have vowed never to allow him.  I will always support him because he has the qualities to free us from the hands of the vultures.  Blind Nigerians call him names, but I call him the 7-star General. Jeff Anayo, Lagos

He should be godfather I advice Buhari should play the role of godfather than contesting elections in 2015.  We still love him, anyway. Ofodile, FUTO

Can’t survive If you are truthful, you can’t survive in Nigeria.  That is the truth in Nigeria. C. Azuazu, Port Harcourt

We are no fools Nigerians are no fools.  Buhari remains a tribal and religious fanatic.  The PTF he headed did only good work in Muslim dominated areas of the North. Wilson Joseph, Gboko

He needs good advisers My uncle who was a journalist during Buhari’s regime told me that the man is disciplined, and I have confirmed it.  He only needs good advisers that will help him in his campaign.  I’m not interested in any region producing the next president, but if we are really sure that we want sanity to return to our country, Buhari is the only choice, at least, for now. Dr John Okorie

Honest submission Your piece on Buhari and 2015 is a well-written, honest submission. James, Ikeja
Save our souls Your article on Buhari is an excellent SOS (Save our Souls) to save Nigeria from death and decay.  But as for Buhari, I fear for his life because they will never allow him to ruin their ‘Farouking’ business. Engr Abdu Usman Misau, Bauchi
Let him build bridges  Your piece on Buhari has started gathering momentum and it shows Nigerians now know better. However, to make our dream come true by having a Buhari presidency in 2015, kindly help us to tell him to start building bridges in the opposition parties from today, because politics is a game of numbers. akinlosotuabass@yahoo.com

Nigeria needs a strong man In 2009, President Barack Obama said Africa does not need strong men but strong institutions. But he should know that behind every strong institution is a strong man. Robots don’t run institutions neither do equipment and sophisticated gadgets make a strong institution but humans. Nigeria needs men who are tested and trusted to lead this nation and man our institutions for this war against corruption to be won. It takes a man with deep-seated hatred for corruption to fight it to a standstill. Order must be restored before development can take place. Kingsley, thereighingking@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. I will be surprised if buhari wins the election. corruption is too strong in nigeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At last Buhari won the Presidential election. Now the task to fight corruption and corrupt Nigerians begins.
      It will not be easy but all hands must be on deck.

      Delete