Sunday 14 October 2012

OF ELECTIONS AND DEBATES

 by Eddy Ogunbor.

-"If you do not have a record to run on, you paint the other person as someone to run from"

-"We will not re-write our (US) economic principle, we will re-apply it" -Paul Ryan, Republican Vice Presidential Candidate U.S.A.

When I decided on hosting a blogsite, my promise and concept were to post on my blog, news items, commentaries, opinions etc on mainly issues on Nigeria and Nigerians.This I have adhered to.
However, with the forthcoming American presidential election fast approaching and the debates so far involving the Democrat and Republican candidates - President and V.President - and the opinions of supporters of the candidates, I could not resist a write up,which is simply a personal opinion. I promise to be as objective as could be.
I reside in Nigeria and am neither a democrat nor republican.However, electing the American President is the business of the world, for obvious reasons.

Let me quickly point out that, this is not a campaign for any candidate inspite of Ryan's quotes above. The reason for the quotes will be known in the course of this write up.
I do have political discussions with friends and political associates, including a very good cousin of mine who is a renowned Cardiologist. Somehow, they seem "right" in our discussions, not with any superior arguements but, on the basis of "that is the way it is and cannot be changed".
Gradually however, my positions will always be vindicated in the long run. The Nigerian presidential election of April 2011, is one issue we discussed. My position on the candidates then and now has not changed. My friends are gradually conceeding to the superiority of my position as things are unfolding.
I look at antecedents of individuals presenting themselves for elective positions. My friends look at the usual political calculations. This is where we differ.

During the last American presidential election that produced Obama as the President of the United States of America, I was a staunch supporter of Hillary Clinton, as the best suitable Democratic candidate. On sentiments however, I secretly wished Obama will make history for the black race. When he got the Democratic ticket, instead of Hillary Clinton, I wished Obama well in the election.
I am not in a position to assess Obama's performance as theUnited States President in the last three years plus but, I always admire Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her performance in her position.

Come November 6th, 2012, Americans will go to the polls to elect a President for the next four years.I did not want to be drawn into what goes on and on issues leading to the U.S Presidential elections. What with our political issues and other issues seeking attention in Nigeria. And the Ondo State governorship election coming up on October 20, 2012 especially.
Coincidentally, debates were organised for candidates for the governorship election in Ondo State and the U.S presidential and vice presidential candidates in USA. I decided to watch the debates.
On the Ondo debates, I saw three candidates from Labour Party, PDP and ACN coming to the debate fully prepared and the incumbent Governor Olusegun Mimiko was put on the spot, challenged by Olusola Oke of the PDP and Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN) of ACN. The three candidates did not disappoint viewers.Mimiko , a medical Doctor against two legal practitioners - Akeredolu (SAN) and Oke, a former legal adviser of the PDP.

At the end of the debate, opinion differed as to who won the debate. Mimiko was harrassed. He fought back and marshalled his points to debunk points by his co-debaters. My verdict: the three candidates performed and made me proud. But Mimiko pointed to concrete achievements and not promises. Other States should emulate Ondo State on the quality of candidates presented for elections. The quality of most politicians and candidates in elections in this country is laughable.

I watched the first debate between President Obama and Governor Romney and also followed opinions of their supporters as to who won the debate.The essence of debates is to come prepared for and take a stand, for or against any issue and maintain such position how best you can. At the end of the debate between Obama and Romney, opinion polls showed that Romney won the debate and was the more aggressive and better prepared of the two candidates. Obama supporters believed otherwise and pointed out Romney's 'myths' at the debate.
Curiously Obama, if he came prepared for the debate, did not debunk these 'myths' but, left the debunking to his supporters, days after the debate!!
I listened to Robert Gibbs, Obama Campaign Senior Adviser on Candy Crowley programme this Sunday and he admitted that, even Obama knew he lost the debate when he came out of the venue.
President Bill Clinton on a road show after the debate, re-played on same Candy Crowley programme, exclaimed "......I thought waooooo!! .......where have you been boy? I have missed you in the last two years...!!". That is, in response to Romney's performance at the debate.

The good news however, is that President Obama has promised to be more aggressive in the second round of the debate, coming up on Wednesday. He better be and also come out prepared to debunk on the spot, Romney's further 'myths', to gain the required momentum in this race.

Then came the VP candidates debate. For god's sake, was Joe Biden serious? Was he prepared? What was all that smiling and gesticulations about? On Joe Biden, I watched the debate with nothing notable to take from him. As for Paul Ryan, he gave tha sucker punches' in the debate -with or without 'myths' - and i took from him the two  memorable quotes I staretd this write up with.

A debate, even at the primary and secondary school levels, is to take a stand for or against any issue, marshall arguements, harrass and intimidate your opponents with the objective of convincing your audience to buy or support your opinions. This is the game.
The second round of the presidential debate is on Wednesday. President Obama should come out more aggressive against Governor Romney. Governor Romney in my assessment, will not approach the debate leaving his gun in his holster. He is going to comeshooting from the hips" - according to the Americans.
My silent wish is for Obama to win the election for Hillary Clinton's sake. That special woman deserves a second term to take on the unfinished business for America and Americans.

God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment