Thursday 24 January 2013

Aretha Franklin Weighs In on Beyoncé Lip-synch Controversy

The Queen of Soul quips, "She did a beautiful job with the pre-record."


Aretha Franklin, Beyonce
As the great debate over Beyoncé’s national anthem performance at Inauguration 2013 continues, more and more celebrities are offering their opinions. One expert opinion that might hold some weight came from a music legend who knows a thing or two about performing at an inauguration: Aretha Franklin.
The Queen of Soul issued a cheeky response to ABC News when asked whether she thought the performance was lip-synched.
"When I heard the news this evening that she was pre-recorded I really laughed," Franklin told ABC News. "I thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather. When I heard that I just really cracked up. I thought it was really funny, but she did a beautiful job with the pre-record…next time I’ll probably do the same."
Franklin performed, "My Country ‘Tis of Thee," at the 2009 inauguration for President Barack Obama.
"In 2009, I wanted everything to be live and on the real side for the moment as it actually happened," the soul singer told ABC News. "Those were my feelings for my performance, but having come face to face with 28, 22 degrees I am not surprised she pre-recorded. She wanted her performance to be what she wanted it to be and she realized it wasn't going to be the way she wanted it to be or she was going to be running a risk. That's probably why she pre-recorded exactly how she wanted it to be heard."
As the chatter about the alleged lip-synch continues, neither Beyoncé nor anyone from her camp has issued a statement on the matter.
BET

No comments:

Post a Comment