Wednesday 30 January 2013

Exclusive: Nollywood And Husband Snatching Scandals; A Curse Or What?... Read More



by Osaremen Ehi James

Some might question me for writing this piece owing to insinuations by some actresses in Nollywood who have labelled me as 'Nollywood marriage destroyer'. But those who know me too well will testify to the fact that I am not always happy with controversies in Nollywood marriages.

I'm just compelled to write about this issue now because Nollywood seems to derive joy in giving the entertainment industry in Nigeria a bad name. Happenings in Nollywood, especially about marriages of actresses, give me worries a lot. To those who see me as one of the most 'hated' and 'wanted' journalists in Nollywood, I will advise you to see the 'sense' in my 'nonSense'.

You can never love this industry more than I do. People like us just have to talk or write on issues to make things go forward and well. I wish I can rub many backs just as some people do, but if this is my calling, see me as that positive opposition that is passionate about moving Nollywood forward. We cannot all write your good and let the bad destroy us underneath all because of what? When I need to praise you, I do, but when otherwise, I won't hesitate to do that.

Each time I hear about how actresses settle for a 'second wife' or have destroy another woman's once happy home by marrying their husbands just to be called 'Mrs', I feel hurt and ask myself the simple question, is Nollywood cursed or under a spell?

With all the single, cute and financially buoyant dudes in Nigeria, actresses would just prefer to make an innocent child and mother cry. They prefer a father to abandon their wonderful kids just to be with them (actresses). I hope you feel the hurt I am feeling inside of me right now.

There cannot be a perfect union, as I'm also not spared of it, but as a public figure, because of the enormous task on their shoulders, celebs have to be extra careful with whatever they do. Many blindly look up to some Nigerian celebs who shouldn't be a role model to even a 'match box, that doesn't worth more than N5'.

Like I told my boss yesterday, not everything the eyes sees or the ear hears, I write. Most Nollywood stars, I make bold to say that, are not worth being a role model. If journalists write everything they see or hear, hmm.....I will keep a sealed lip on that because that is another topic for another day.

Back to the issue, I think it is very imperative for Nollywood stars, especially the actresses, to do a proper clean up of themselves. They need to ask themselves many questions.

Many actresses have disappointed their fans by destroying some once happy homes, they have wrecked the joy of some mothers and children all in the name of getting married by force.

Like I will always say, I wish I can mention names. I will keep refraining from such for now. Don't get me wrong, I am not scared of anybody, I mean anybody. For me, like my father and my family lineage, I am a fearless being. The more I am being hated or intimidated, the more I write what would make you hate or intimidate me the more.

The industry needs to come together to unravel the misery behind Nollywood giving Nigeria's entertainment industry a bad name. We hear less of husband snatching saga in the music or other entertainment sectors in Nigeria. If it will take Nollywood to meet with Prophet TB Joshua or Baba Adeboye, these names I mention with due respect, on this issue, Nollywood should just do that and save other presently happy homes from being wrecked by any actress again. Hmm, 'ewu n be loko Longe, Longe fun ra lara re, ewu ni' a Yoruba adage meaning 'there is danger in the farmland of Longe, Longe himself is danger. 'He who asks the way does not lose the way,' an adage in English says.

I keep asking myself, is the husband snatching scandals in Nollywood a curse, a mistake or what? My mind tells me that answers to these questions lie within Nollywood.

In my usual style, like the Yorubas say, which I will tell Nollywood now is that, 'aja t'oba ma sonu, ki i gbo feere olode' meaning 'a dog that will stray never hears the hunter's whistle' because 'Aigbofa la nwo oke, ifa kan o si ni para' also meaning 'only fake diviners look unto the ceiling, for there is no answer written on ceiling. Ka Chineke mezio ku (Igbo language). 'Obhihu', as they say 'Thank you in my Ishan language.
TalkOfNaija

No comments:

Post a Comment