Monday 7 January 2013

“Foreign coaches are coming to Africa just for the money” – Keshi


Coach of Nigeria’s senior national team, Stephen Keshi, has criticised foreign managers who are managing African teams, as he feels most of them have accepted the jobs, just for the financial packages.
“The white guys are coming to Africa just for the money,” he said. “They are not doing anything that we cannot do. I am not racist but that’s just the way it is.”
Keshi was also critical of the difference in which some African Federations treat local and foreign coaches.
“African coaches – when [federations] employ them, [the federations] want them to win the World Cup, the Africa Cup of Nations and every game,” said a man who has steered Nigeria into this month’s finals in South Africa.
“Meanwhile, if you give a white person the same job, you tell the white person they need one year to adapt, to know the country and the players – they are told ‘don’t worry, take your time’.
“That is unprofessional and is one thing that is killing African football.” But Williamson believes it is up to African coaches to improve their standards.
“It is not about being black or white, it is about having the qualifications,” he added. “I’ve got them. My Uefa licence doesn’t expire until until 2016 and I’ll be doing what I need to in the meantime to keep it up.
“I’m not sure that many African coaches have that qualification and that is the biggest problem. They have Confederation of African Football qualifications but I don’t think they match the level of the European qualifications.”
Frenchman Herve Renard coached Zambia to the 2012 title, and Bobby Williamson, Uganda’s Scottish coach, rejects the idea that they came for the money.
“I never came here for the money. I came here for the job, for a new experience and a new working place. I’ve never regretted it,” he told BBC Sports.
“When I first came here, the money I was being paid was just enough to pay the mortgage. It has improved because I have been relatively successful; at the regional African Cecafa tournaments and I’ve also get close to qualifying for the Africa Cup of Nations.
“We are all professionals, if he [Keshi] could get a better job in Europe and earn better money, then I’m sure he would be off like a shot.
“It’s just like most African players who are playing in Britain: they’re not just there for the love of football, they are there to make money – they are professionals.”
Of the 16 coaches that will be handling teams in South Africa 2013, 9 are either from South America or Europe, while 7 are from Africa.
 DailyPost

No comments:

Post a Comment