Tuesday 1 January 2013

“Our father left behind unfinished business” – Azazi’s children


Akpo-Olade and Pelede, the first daughter and the last son of the late Gen. Andrew Azazi, said the former National Security Adviser left behind unfinished business.
The traumatised children in their tributes at the burial of their father, named the Yenagoa City Centre project as top on the list of the unfinished business.
Akpo-Olade in her tribute on Saturday, said her father was passionate about developing the city centre, adding that he spent much time designing the project.
She also said her father dreamt of establishing a factory that would produce special fruit juice in the country.
Her father’s visions and dreams for better Nigeria and Bayelsa State, including the city centre project, she said, were the first things she remembered when she received the report of the December 15 helicopter crash in which Azazi and five others were killed.
Akpo-Olade, who gave the late Azazi his first grand child, said she never believed that her father was on board the ill-fated helicopter until her brother confirmed the report to her.
She, however, regretted being outside the country when the incident happened.
She said, “I remember the day my sister called me, I was out of the country. She called me to say that there was an helicopter crash and that there was a possibility that our father was in the helicopter.
“I screamed and said it can’t be possible. I remembered all his dreams and visions and l said to God, this can’t be possible. What is going to happen to all the things he believed in and fought for.
“I remember the Yenagoa City Centre, something that he derived joy from when he talked. He presented this to so many people; they were excited about it. I say God for his dreams, please don’t let it be.
“But I had to accept the reality when my brother told me that he was dead. At this point I said God why did I have to be away when this thing happened.”
Similarly, Pelede said his father was planning to establish a foundation before the unfortunate incident.
He said, “I was together with my father all the day before this thing happened. We talked about different things ranging from values and foundation and how to better peoples lives.
“My father was a very good person. He touched a lot of lives from both officers of the Nigerian Army and civilians. He was a man of virtue.”
 DailyPost

No comments:

Post a Comment