Monday 28 January 2013

“Thierry Henry wants me to buy all of Arsenal’s shares” – Usmanov

By

Alisher UsmanovOne of Arsenal’s major shareholders, Alisher Usmanov, has revealed one of the club’s legend, Thierry Henry, also urged him to purchase a controlling stake in the North London club.
The 59-year-old himself, is keen to get involved in the Gunners’ boardroom, but has been constantly sidelined, because of his opinion that the club needs to spend big to compete at the highest level.
“I like many footballers and I’m in contact with some of them,” he told L’Equipe. “Perhaps my favourite of the last 10, 15 years is Thierry Henry. He’s pushing me to buy all of Arsenal’s shares but I cannot predict the future.
“When I had the chance to buy some shares and become one of the main shareholders, I didn’t hesitate. I was even ready to take total control.
“That wasn’t possible because certain people preferred to make a profit and create, using me, an outside enemy. I remain portrayed as a pirate, an enemy. They have won that game.”
Usmanov hailed Arsene Wenger’s ability to stay in the top four in England, despite the financial contraints the board has imposed on him and affirmed that all he is after is the club’s success, whether he is in control or not.
“For me, Arsene Wenger is one of the best coaches in the world but it’s not easy for him,” he added. “I think he deserves that players are brought in when needed. If that happens, we can ask everything of him. But, today, he’s sacrificed because of the policy.
“Everything’s in Mr Kroenke’s hands and I hope he succeeds, even if he doesn’t go along with my ideas.
“The greatest achievement of Arsene Wenger is to have created two teams: the one that now plays for our rivals and the one that is trying to be among the best in the League.
“That’s why I say it’s not enough to merely flatter the coach but to give him the possibility to buy superstars. And not just stars but those chosen by Wenger.
“Arsenal don’t seem to need me. I’m a strong man. If someone needs my help, my money, my know-how, I’m always ready.”
DailyPost

No comments:

Post a Comment