Google+ Followers

Sunday, 19 May 2013

State of Emergency: U.S Warns Nigerian Forces Against Human Rights Abuse



State of Emergency: U.S Warns Nigerian Forces Against Human Rights Abuse
The United States have warned Nigerian forces fighting the Boko Haram insurgents in the Northeastern region against violating human rights.
In statement issued by Secretary of State, Mr. John Kerry, the U.S said it has already received credible allegations that the Nigerian Security Forces are committing “gross human rights violations” saying such can “only escalate the violence and fuel extremism.”
Nigeria’s President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan had imposed an state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa following the increasing spate of killing and destruction of property by members of the Boko Haram sect.
Nigerian forces comprising the Army, Air force and the Police had swiftly moved into the three States under emergency rule.
So far, the Military had announced that from its first operation, over 30 members of the Boko Haram sect have been killed.
But the U.S in its statement said:
“The United States is deeply concerned about the fighting in northeastern Nigeria following President Jonathan’s declaration of a state of emergency in the Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states. We are also deeply concerned by credible allegations that Nigerian security forces are committing gross human rights violations, which, in turn, only escalate the violence and fuel extremism
“The United States condemns Boko Haram’s campaign of terror in the strongest terms. We urge Nigeria’s security forces to apply disciplined use of force in all operations, protect civilians in any security response, and respect human rights and the rule of law.”
PointblankNews

No comments:

Post a Comment