“I am a member of Hezbollah and I serviced those bombs”: Dramatic testimony of suspect in court
One of the three Lebanese suspects standing trial for alleged illegal possession of firearms, Talal Ahmed Rodo, on Friday told the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja that he had been servicing the bunker discovered in No 3,Gaiya Road in Kano.
Rodo, who is the 3rd accused person, admitted to this while during cross-examination by the state prosecution counsel, Simon Egede. Rodo, who was testifying as Defense Witness 1, said he was a squatter in the house where the firearms were found and he had ‘good knowledge’ of the arms in the bunker.
He said he serviced the arms on the instruction of the owner of the house, Abdul Hassan Tahir. According to him,“Tahir told me that those arms were licensed and I had no reason whatsoever not to believe him. I was also afraid to report to the police because I felt it might be a risk for me.”
He then admitted to being a member of the Hezbollah terrorist group, but when asked, said he could not confirm the membership of the two other accused persons.
Rodo in his evidence, said that in 2010, when he travelled to Lebanon for the marriage of his daughter, one Isa, a Hezbollah member, asked him to get the information about Israeli companies in Nigeria, but he refused.
During the proceedings, the court transferred the three accused persons, Mustapha Fawaz, Abdullah Thahani and Talal Ahmed Rodo, from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS). The court’s order was based on the application brought by the accused’s’ lawyer that his clients said they were no longer comfortable in DSS custody.
The court adjourned till Monday for continuation of the defence’s case.