Thursday 19 September 2013

My Kidnappers Gave Me N200, Nigeria Police Didn’t Rescue Me – Bishop Kattey


Bishop Kattey 1 My Kidnappers Gave Me N200, Nigeria Police Didnt Rescue Me – Bishop Kattey
Archbishop of Niger Delta Province of the Anglican Communion, Most Rev. Ignatius Kattey, has accused the Nigeria Police of lying over their claim that they secured his release from the dare-devil kidnappers who had abducted him penultimate Friday.
Briefing newsmen to share his 9 days experience in the den of kidnappers, Rev. Kattey thanked the Police for their efforts, but said that they were not the ones who rescued him.
“The Police did not rescue me, neither were they the ones who rescued my wife, Beatrice. I saw the Police for the first time two days ago, after the incident. I heard the statements made by the Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO. The police are telling lies. If you cannot trust the Police, then who can you trust? I told the Commissioner of Police and he has apologised.
“I know that they made efforts but they did not rescue us. A helicopter flew over the area more than 500 times, but the boys (kidnappers) were smarter. They held me in a thick forest and no one could see me there.
“On the day of my release (September 14), the kidnappers moved me and we trekked a number of kilometres till we got to a road. Then they gave me N200 and ordered me to walk towards a direction where I would get a bike. We thank God for His mercies because I wouldn’t even wish my enemy to go through that experience,” he said
Kattey, who is Dean of the Nigerian Anglican Communion, also said that he was not aware if any ransom was collected over his release, explaining that he was not tortured by his abductors.
He added that: “From my experience, the abductors are hungry and in dire need of means of livelihood. Some are adequately educated but lack the enabling environment to positively express themselves. If government will give the people potable water, light and good roads, they will change.”

NaijaUrban

No comments:

Post a Comment