Friday 8 August 2014

APC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES: POLITICAL EXPEDIENCE AND ELECTORAL VALUES. (PART 1) BY EDDY OGUNBOR.




This is Not an attempt at writing a rejoinder to Dele Momodu’s articles captioned  “Why I am not a fan of PDP” and “Why I am a fan of APC”, but I will strongly recommend the       articles to Nigerians for political enlightenment and awareness in this dispensation. This will make Nigerian electorate focus on what is expected of them in our democracy and the option of choice to the electorates in the forthcoming elections.The two articles of Dele Momodu were posted on my timeline on facebook and can also be found posted on my blog – eddyogunbor.blogspot.com.

I am neither a card carrying member of the PDP nor a fan of PDP and therefore I am totally on the same page with Dele Momodu’s arguments and opinions contained thereof in his first article, “Why I am not a fan of PDP”.  However, I am a card carrying member of the APC and certainly a fan of the APC. I believe in the objectives, aims and manifesto of the party at rescuing Nigeria from the sordid state of decadence the country has found itself due to the inglorious governance of the PDP since 1999. Therefore, haven played active roles at the national level , leading to the formation of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), - one of the legacy parties – and in the merger process leading to the birth of APC, I consider it proper to throw light on some aspects raised in Dele Momodu’s  “Why I am a fan of APC”. The article touched on the need for the APC to get its acts together properly in picking the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates that can dislodge the ruling party in the 2015 Presidential election. Dele Momodu in his article suggested a pairing formula he considered potent enough to defeat PDP in 2015.This pairing formula he suggested is precisely the reason for this write up. I will address this in due course. But let me digress for a moment.

Most friends of mine, aware of my political leanings and opinions, have asked the question on several occasion on who I think the choice of the APC will be as the Presidential candidate. The reason they ask is for the fact that they are aware of my unabashed loyalty to and committed support for a particular individual and this individual being the reason for my venture into politics, in quest of a rescue team and mission for our dear country from the low depth of decadence we have found the country in recent time. My answer always has been,  “when we get to the bridge, we will cross it” and that the leadership has not come up with the modalities for picking the candidates. In truth, they (my friends) know my preferred choice of Presidential candidate for the APC and that I do not want to “let the cat out of the bag”. Now that we are almost at the “the bridge” and about to “cross it”, Dele Momodu’s article came out at the appropriate time for the “cat to be let out of my bag”. (continued).

No comments:

Post a Comment