Saturday 29 December 2012

What Christmas in Katsina taught me

Teajay Chunu

I arrived Kano on aero by 8pm on the 24th of December and was welcome by deep cold. I thought I was 'man' enough to take it but realized am just a man and quickly rushed for my Jacket. I wondered why these people still buy air conditioners (*smiles*). My arrival was 4 hours behind schedule, no thanks to aero but how on earth would I find my way in the midst of hausa speaking people who we dread cos of the 'boko haram' syndrome?

I got a cab to the park and was amazed that by 9pm these people were still very active. Boarded another cab that took me on a mind freezing, body shivering 2 hours drive to Katsina. The roads were good and travelling without fear is a concept I desire for southern Nigeria. Arriving and tracing my way to my host was simple and stressless.

It was strange not to have seen Christmas lights nor hear the popular 'feliz navidad' everywhere until reality hit me, Christmas is more a 'southern affair'. I rushed under the closest blanket and didn't turn till daybreak for fear of not breaking my frozen ear.

It was morning...alass Christmas is here! I hit the dry dusty roads for service, had the pastor preach my message I planned writing that morning and was simply 'wowed'. I was happy to see amidst the tight security in an 'unsafe' zone, Christians were irresistibly joyful. I meet new friends as well as some old one who were hiding & doing great things here. The day was full, exciting and well-fed.

With my encounter I started pondering... why do we complain about the north? Are they really the enemy of the south? Are they really born to rule, are they that heartless? The people I met and those on the streets I shared with, yes though may have a wrong mind-set were excited to share with me. At this point I will state that our enemy isn't a people, tribe, religion, nation or what have you but a mind-set, a constant pattern of thought that uses aggression & tyranny to suppress us into bondage.

These people are a reflection of the depth of their knowledge, sitting unproductively over vast resources & opportunities but living in 'uncontrolled' wealth. I learnt the following about them:
1. They are one.
2. They walk loyally with a superior & absolute belief system (for those who lead)
3. They are committed in inculcating their beliefs, values & culture to the next generation.
4. They do what they believe without fear.
5. They will submit to greater influence.

Oh, I won't deny that they are more beggars here too but those with wealth & power stand as a threat even to the whole nation. This has led me to a new school of thought; the north is a product of the negligence of the south. Now minds may be reacting because 'this statement is baseless, can't you see our history, the bombing...etc?' Yes, yes but am not your enemy here, just reason along...the south claims to be smarter, has more Christians & profess God who is a perfect representation of love, wisdom & power but why...
1. Are we not united?
2. Can't we be loyal, walking with a superior & absolute belief system? We don't trust God to do what He says, we practically improvise.
3. Have we neglected bringing our children up in the way & relegated that to the media & morally decayed influence from the western world?
4. Do we live with fear, protecting life that may be lost without meaning?
5. Oppose greater influence because of personal interest?

While I mourn our brothers martyred in the north, I see the killings as a tool to empower fear and restrain us from living a superior life of real power & influence, not selfishly motivated but driven by love to do Greater Works as Jesus declared. Death will visit us someday but until then I MUST work the works of Him who called me. Why sit here and die 4 lepers asked, I dare ask you same...why?

We all analyze & know the problem of Nigeria but without a deliberate move to provide individual solutions that corporately benefits the polity. I see myself as a Nigerian not a southerner, I am a change agent and will do my bit. If you move out fear you will be amazed what power you have. I call on all Nigerians to arise to their true call and let's build a nation where peace & justice shall reign.

Join my crusade for value orientation of teenagers in 2013...StepUp!
Impossible is Nothing!
via: EdoPoliticalForum

No comments:

Post a Comment