Monday, 1 April 2013

Rahquel Carr, 4-Year-Old Girl, Shot To Death In Car In Northwest Miami-Dade



Rahquel Carr 4 Year Old Girl Shot To Death In Car
MIAMI, FL -- A little girl has died after being shot Saturday night in front of other children in a car in Northwest Miami-Dade.
Four-year-old Rahquel Carr suffered a gunshot wound to her upper body, according to Miami-Dade Police, and was pronounced dead at Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Detectives are still investigating to determine who shot the gun inside the white Mercedes-Benz, which the Miami Herald reports was parked in the girl's grandparents' driveway in the 12000 block of Northwest 20th Avenue.
Relatives told CBS Miami they believe the girl's six-year-old brother was playing with the gun when it went off accidentally, but MDPD spokesman Det. Roy Rutland said circumstances are still unclear.
"There's a lot of speculation right now as to who had that firearm at the time, but we're not in the business of speculating, we're in the business of facts," Rutland said, noting that an adult was nearby and several children were inside the car when the shooting happened around 6 p.m. Saturday evening.
The Associated Press reports the owner of both the weapon and the car was not present at the time of the shooting and has not been charged.
Florida law requires firearms to be securely encased when in a vehicle, according to NBC6.
“To know that a kid has access to a gun and to be able to have that kind of tragedy happen right in front of your home it’s sad,” neighbor Kendrick Williams told CBS. “Our prayers are with the family and everybody else involved in this situation. The sad thing is someone’s going to have to get in trouble for this for being irresponsible with the unsecured weapon.”
HuffingtonPost

284,000 College Graduates Had Minimum-Wage Jobs Last Year



A college degree doesn’t guarantee anyone a big paycheck anymore.
About 284,000 Americans with college degrees were working minimum wage jobs last year, according to the Wall Street Journal. That’s 70 percent more college grads working for the minimum wage than 10 years ago. Still, the number is down from its 2010 high of 327,000.
As unemployment skyrocketed during the economic downturn, job opportunities for everyone -- including college graduates -- narrowed and low-wage work began to replace steady middle-class jobs. Three-fifths of the jobs lost during the recession paid middle-income wages, while the same share of the jobs created during the recovery are low-wage work, according to an August study from the National Employment Law Project.
The result: Nearly half of the college graduates in the class of 2010 are working in jobs that don’t require a bachelor’s degree and 38 percent have jobs that don’t even require a high school diploma, according to a January report from the Center for College Affordability and Productivity. The report called into question whether too much public money is being spent on providing students with degrees that make them overqualified for the only jobs that are available.
But it’s not only the government shouldering the cost of a college degree. Household student loan debt soared to a record in 2010, with nearly one in five American households burdened with college debt. And with the weak job market, recent graduates are going to have an increasingly tough time paying that debt off. Themedian wage for those with a bachelor’s degree is down from a decade ago, according to the Associated Press.

The President and the Morgue Attendant



Salisu Suleiman.
There is a joke about a morgue attendant who had gotten so used to seeing dead bodies that one day, he came to work to find a supposedly dead body twitching. His response was, “this is the morgue, not the emergency room”, so he promptly smothered the twitching body until it was well and truly dead. “That’s more like it”, he said, as he sat down to guard the cabinet full of dead bodies and to wait for new arrivals.
In many ways, the way Goodluck Jonathan has handled the affairs of Nigeria since becoming president can be likened to that of the morgue attendant. And worse still, Nigeria, under his administration has grown to become a vast, sprawling mortuary where deaths and dead bodies do not seem to matter at all: In the aftermath of Jonathan’s visit to Maiduguri, security operatives reportedly dumped about 70 bodies at the morgue, up from the daily average of 10 or 20.
Like the morgue attendant in the story, when about 2 years ago, the Borno Elders Forum met with the president and asked him to order the withdrawal of troops from Maiduguri to enable them use a different approach on Boko Haram, Jonathan flatly refused their plea. In the two years since, then how many more lives have been needlessly lost in the fighting? His attitude seems to be, “I’d rather preside over dead bodies than save lives”.
Accepted, Jonathan took over a country that was severely distressed. But what is the job of the president? For someone who has spent the last 14 years in power at the state and federal levels, the excuse that he is still studying the situation is one of the lamest apologies in political history. Either deliberately or inadvertently, like the morgue attendant, Jonathan’s actions and inactions all seem geared towards killing Nigeria off once and for all.
Why was it that when he was eventually shamed into visiting Borno and Yobe states by opposition APC governors who actually walked on the streets of Maiduguri and the notorious Monday Market, he response to calls for an amnesty for Boko Haram was, “We can’t grant amnesty to ghosts”. Within a week of his mindless, callous retort, another 25 hapless Nigerians were blown to smithereens in Kano. Since he can’t grant amnesty to ‘ghosts’, perhaps, he can grant amnesty to dead bodies!
Incidentally, more and more Nigerians are beginning to suspect that the deteriorating security situation may be more than the handiwork of Boko Haram. More than ever, there are growing fears that some, if not many of the attacks attributed to Boko Haram may be the work of other ‘ghosts’ beyond Boko Harm whose ultimate objective may be to divide Nigerians further along ethnic and religious lines for political advantage. The very nature and timing of some of the attacks on churches and some ethnic groups lend credence to that supposition.
Is this the same Jonathan who told us on his inauguration that, “Today, our unity is firm, and our purpose is strong, our determination unshakable. Together, we will unite our nation and improve the living standards of all our peoples whether in the North or in the South; in the East or in the West.  Our decade of development has begun.  The march is on.  The day of transformation begins today.  We will not allow anyone exploit differences in creed or tongue, to set us one against another”.
Perhaps, Nigerians should not be surprised at Frankenstein that Jonathan has become. From the supposedly timid state governor and vice president, we now have one of the coldest, most calculating and thick-skinned leaders, totally aloof to criticism. The one and only thing on his mind is to retain power beyond 2015 while helping friends and cronies to pillage Nigeria as much as possible. After all, when he was asked about assets declaration, he replied, “The issue of public asset declaration is a matter of personal principle. That is the way I see it, and I don’t give a damn about it, even if you criticise me from heaven”.
Which is why all the condemnations trailing the pardon he granted to Diepreye Alamiesegha are likely to fall on deaf ears; which is why even with a daily income of $224 million, Nigerians remain one of the poorest people on earth; which is why we have 68 million people unemployed; which is why Nigeria is the most corrupt nation in the world and which is why studies show that a child would be off being born in Somalia, Mali, Chad, South Sudan and other war-ravaged countries than in Nigeria.
Jonathan’s well-paid and ill-mannered army of Internet and media warriors may sing his praises to high heavens and work hard distort any discourse about the woeful failures of their paymaster, the truth is, they cannot hide the fact that Nigeria under Jonathan has become a vast mortuary where death and tragedy are routine. And like the morgue attendant, Jonathan seems intent on smothering all life out of Nigeria.
(The views published above are those of the writer’s and do not necessarily represent the view of Nigeria Intel)

US Warns Citizens Of Possible Attacks In Nigeria



Ahead this year’s Easter celebration, the United States Department of State has warned American citizens living in Nigeria of possible terrorist attacks in the country.
Through its Embassy in Nigeria, the Department of State said, “Given the history of attacks throughout the country during previous holiday weekends as well as the March 18 attack in Kano and the failed attempt in Kano on March 23, all U.S. citizens living and traveling in Nigeria should take extra precautions for their personal security and safety.
“Due to the continued threat of kidnapping of expatriates countrywide including recent kidnappings on Victoria Island in Lagos, the U.S. Mission recommends that American citizens and organisations maintain accountability for the whereabouts of their members of staff, test communication systems to ensure that they are working properly, and ensure secure means of transport for any necessary travel.
It also advised all American citizens to be particularly vigilant around churches and other places of worship, locations where large crowds might gather, government facilities, and areas frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers during the holiday weekend.
It noted that security measures in Nigeria remain heightened due to threats posed by extremist groups, adding that U.S. citizens should expect additional police and military checkpoints, additional security, and possible road blocks throughout the country during the period.
 TalkOfNaija

CAN Warns Muslim Leaders In Delta Against Baseless Accusations



can_logo
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Delta State Chapter, has called on leaders of the Muslim community in the state to watch their utterances in order not to jeopardise the peaceful co-existence between Christians and Muslims in the state.
CAN in its reaction to recent media reports by Muslim council in the state calling for equal treatment, urged the Muslim leaders to appreciate the good things Delta State Government has been doing for Muslims in the state.
In a statement by the Delta State Secretary of CAN, Reverend Oke Akokotu, the body said; “Instead of asking the state government to accord equal treatment to Christians and their Muslim counterparts in the state, the Muslim community should appreciate all the good things successive governments in Delta state had done for the Muslim community in the state.”
Akokotu described as baseless, the allegations by the Delta State Muslim Council that Muslims in the state were marginalised.
delta governor wv muslim cleric
He therefore asked Delta State Government to disregard the reports and agitations by the Muslim body, arguing that the agitation was capable of breaching peace in the state and jeopardizing the existing peaceful co-existence between the two religious bodies in the state, and also the peace and security agenda of the state government.
InformationNigeria

Sept. 11 Cross Lawsuit Thrown Out By Judge Deborah Batts



By LARRY NEUMEISTER

U.S. District Judge Deborah Batts in a ruling released publicly Friday rejected the arguments of American Atheists, which had sued the National September 11 Memorial & Museum's operators in 2011 on constitutional grounds, contending that the prominent display of the cross constitutes an endorsement of Christianity, diminishing the contributions of non-Christian rescuers.
Batts wrote that the cross and its accompanying panels of text "helps demonstrate how those at ground zero coped with the devastation they witnessed during the rescue and recovery effort." She called its purpose "historical and secular" and noted that it will be housed at the museum in the "Finding Meaning at Ground Zero" section with placards explaining its meaning and the reason for its inclusion. It also will be surrounded by secular artifacts.
"No reasonable observer would view the artifact as endorsing Christianity," the judge said. She added that the museum's creators "have not advanced religion impermissibly, and the cross does not create excessive entanglement between the state and religion." She said the plaintiffs also failed to allege any form of intentional discrimination or cite any adverse or unequal treatment on the basis of their religious beliefs.
The 17-foot-tall steel beam was found by rescue workers two days after the terror attacks. It is scheduled to be displayed among 1,000 artifacts, photos, oral histories and videos in an underground museum that will also house the staircase workers used to escape the towers as well as portraits of the nearly 3,000 victims and oral histories of Sept. 11. The museum, still under construction and scheduled to open next year, is part of a memorial plaza that includes waterfalls that fill the fallen towers' footprints.
Edwin F. Kagin, a lawyer for the atheists group, said in a call from the group's convention in Austin, Texas, that he will appeal.
"Naturally, we don't like the ruling and we think it's incorrect," he said.
Kagin called it an effort by the government "to endorse Christianity as the national religion of the United States."
He added: "For anyone to think this is not a religious symbol being moved for religious reasons into the World Trade Center museum is incredible."
Joe Daniels, the museum's president, said he was grateful that the court "agrees that the display of the World Trade Center Cross is not a constitutional violation but is in fact a crucial part of the 9/11 Memorial Museum's mission of preserving the true history of 9/11."
Attorney Mark Alcott, who represented the museum, said the ruling will protect the museum's depiction of the aftermath of the attacks.
"It was not intended to and will not promote any religion or discriminate against any religion," he said.
HuffingtonPost

If PDP Does Not Share Fuel Subsidy Money, Who Will? – Pastor Tunde Bakare



General Overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly, Pastor Tunde Bakare, has urged the Chairman of Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme, SURE-P, implementation monitoring team, Chief Christopher Kolade to resign so that he can save his reputation from being soiled by the current allegations of non-performance by the board.
Chief Christopher Kolade
Chief Christopher Kolade
The convener of the Save Nigeria Group, SNG, also regretted the delayed trial of those alleged to have stolen fuel subsidy funds, arguing that it was an indication that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had overbearing influence over other arms of government.
Bakare, while speaking to newsmen yesterday in Lagos said the SNG would soon take a stand on the pardon granted to former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Deiprieye Alamieyeseigha.
“If people are saying that the PDP is sharing the subsidy reinvestment fund, I would not be surprised. If PDP does not share the money, who will? Do you think the PDP has good intentions? I felt pity for Dr. Christopher Kolade when he was appointed to head that committee.
“He is a man with good reputation but appointing him at 80 to head that committee, was a way of soiling his good reputation. With the kind of allegations coming up on how the funds are being managed, the best thing for him to do is to resign. I hope he withdraws or resigns before he is messed up, because you cannot expect anything good from the PDP.
 Pastor Tunde Bakare
Pastor Tunde Bakare
“The reason why you cannot see good judgment on the prosecution of those, who allegedly stole fuel subsidy funds is because there is connivance between all arms of government to subjugate the country. The PDP gave the indication when it said it would rule for sixty years. And they have formed a merger with the senate, judiciary and other arms of government to realise that dream.
“Alamiesyeigha is not the issue if the looting in Bayelsa State is not addressed. SNG would soon take a stand on the matter. I cannot see any hope in our future except through cleansing, show me any nation that has democracy and development without revolution,” Bakare added.
InformationNigeria