Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Jay Hileman, Federal Prosecutor, Leaves Aryan Brotherhood Case Amid 'Security Concerns': Report


By Simon McCormack

A federal prosecutor has reportedly left a case involving members of the Aryan Brotherhood of Texas citing "security concerns."
The Dallas Morning News reports that Houston-based assistant U.S. attorney Jay Hileman told defense lawyer Richard O. Ely II that he was withdrawing in an email.
Ely is representing one of the defendants in the case, which involves racketeering charges.
Houston defense attorney Katherine Scardino also received the email from Hileman, according to Talking Points Memo.
"He sent the email to every lawyer representing a defendant in the Aryan Brotherhood federal case, and he said -- very short email -- that he was withdrawing for security reasons," Scardino told TPM.
Angela Dodge, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Houston, declined to confirm to The Huffington Post whether or why Hileman left the case.
"The case currently pending in the Southern District of Texas has been and will continue to be worked by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Texas in partnership with the Department of Justice’s Criminal Division," Dodge said in an email.
The news comes days after Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife were shot and killed in their home.
The Associated Press reports that authorities are investigating whether white supremacists could be behind a recent spate of deadly violence directed at prosecutors and a Colorado corrections official.
Texas law enforcement agencies have been put on high alert, the AP reports.
The killings also come months after 34 members of the Aryan Brotherhood of Texas were indicted, according to Democracy Now.
HuffingtonPost

Ben Carson: White Liberals Are 'The Most Racist People'



Dr. Ben Carson, a black Johns Hopkins University neurosurgeon and conservative favorite after challenging President Barack Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast, said Monday on "The Mark Levin Show" that white liberals are "racist."
"And you're attacked in many respects because of your race. You're not supposed to think like this, and supposed to talk like this. A lot of white liberals just don't like it, do they?" said Levin, host of the syndicated radio show.
"Well, they're the most racist people there are. You know, they put you in a little category, a little box -- you have to think this way. How could you dare come off the plantation?" responded Carson.
Carson is scheduled to speak at the Hopkins' School of Medicine commencement ceremony this year. A group of students petitioned to have him replaced as speaker after he compared gay marriage to bestiality and pedophilia last week. Carson said Friday that he was prepared to withdraw.
The school told HuffPost Friday that it had heard of no change in plans and said he was chosen for his medical accomplishments, not personal views.
Carson said Monday that it was "to be determined" whether he would speak and that he was going to "wait and see."
HuffingtonPost

Opposition Groups Aim To Destroy PDP, Laments Bamanga Tukur



Bamanga Tukur
By SaharaReporters, New York
Fleeing an indifferent health sector inflicted on Nigeria by his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), National Chairman Bamanga Tukur has warned members not to succumb to the antics of the opposition, whom he described as being bent on destroying the PDP.
In a statement issued in London against the backdrop of reports of internal moves to ease him out of power in the party, Tukur said he has done no wrong to any member of the party to warrant any gang-up against him, and that he would continue to serve the party to the best of his ability.
Apparently concerned about what may transpire in his absence, Alhaji Tukur stressed that the agenda of reconciliation by his leadership is the only solution to the sustained rumblings among members.  He vowed transparency and openness, stressing that every aggrieved person in the party is free to approach the National Headquarters and the leadership concerning their grievances.
“While I take care of my health, I urge party members to continue to support the National Working Committee (NWC) in its drive towards re-launching the PDP into a more formidable structure capable of winning and winning elections without stress,” he said.
Tukur said that every action he has taken since he became the Chairman was in the interest of the party, and in line with the set agenda of Reconciliation, Reformation and Rebuilding of the party at all levels in Nigeria.
“Some members may not like the idea of ensuring openness and transparency in the manner which we conduct our affairs,” he said, arguing that openness and transparency remain the best tools for ensuring progress in the party.
Restating his love for the PDP, he said, “If I am serving PDP at my age, the reason is not because I want anything as gains, the reason is that serving the ruling party amounts to serving my nation. I have my nation to serve and diligently too, because the country has made me.
“So for me, it is a payback time for the country that made me who I am. So why would I complain in the face of stiff challenges.”
He commended President Goodluck Jonathan for his support of the party.
“The President had endorsed every action we took with conviction that they were all in the good interest of the PDP. The governors have been supportive too. We have been in touch and they keep on assuring me of their support.”
Tukur thanked members of the PDP for being steadfast, and called on them to be wary of the threats by opposition groups to “pull down” the PDP at all costs.
The irony of the party chairman seeking medical treatment in London, alongside top officers of the government, governors, the First Lady and privileged Nigerians all over the map, seemed completely lost on Mr. Tukur. 
His party has ruled Nigeria since 1999, and citizens routinely complain of its pervasive corruption and overwhelming indifference, resulting in a dearth of workable institutions, including hospitals.

Nicholas Cendoya, Kyndall Jack Missing: Search Teams Hunt For California Teens



Authorities said they have "high hopes" of finding two teen hikers who were reported missing Monday night in Holy Jim Canyon near Trabuco Canyon in Orange County, Calif.
KCAL reports that Nicholas Cendoya, 19, and Kyndall Jack, 18, called Orange County Sheriff’s deputies to ask for help finding their way back to their car, but their cell phones lost power before authorities could pinpoint their location.
At first, fog hampered rescue efforts by preventing air search teams. But by Monday the weather had improved and Lt. Erin Gudice told City News Service Monday that she was optimistic the teens would be located.
"We have a new search team that’s just been deployed and it looks like we’re getting a break in the weather so I believe we’ll be getting (another) helicopter up,” Gudice said. “We have very high hopes that we’ll be finding them shortly… The weather is on our side today.”
KABC reports that officials believe the teens must have wandered off the "well marked" trail they were on.
"I just hope that she's found," Jack's mother, Dawn told the station. "She's not a very experienced hiker."
Anyone with information on the missing teens is asked to call the Orange County Sheriff’s Department at (714) 647-7000.HuffingtonPost

Mythical Gate To Hell Discovered



A "gate to hell" has emerged from ruins in southwestern Turkey, Italian archaeologists have announced.Mythical Gate To Hell Discovered
A digital illustration shows the ancient Plutonium, celebrated as the portal to the underworld in Greco-Roman mythology
Known as Pluto's Gate - Ploutonion in Greek, Plutonium in Latin - the cave was celebrated as the portal to the underworld in Greco-Roman mythology and tradition.
Historic sources located the site in the ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis, now called Pamukkale, and described the opening as filled with lethal mephitic vapors.

"This space is full of a vapor so misty and dense that one can scarcely see the ground. Any animal that passes inside meets instant death," the Greek geographer Strabo (64/63 BC - about 24 AD) wrote.
"I threw in sparrows and they immediately breathed their last and fell," he added.
Announced this month at a conference on Italian archaeology in Istanbul, Turkey, the finding was made by a team led by Francesco D'Andria, professor of classic archaeology at the University of Salento.
D'Andria has conducted extensive archaeological research at the World Heritage Site of Hierapolis. Two years ago he claimed to discover there the tomb of Saint Philip, one of the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ.
Founded around 190 B.C. by Eumenes II, King of Pergamum (197 B.C.-159 B.C.), Hierapolis was given over to Rome in 133 B.C.
"We found the Plutonium by reconstructing the route of a thermal spring. Indeed, Pamukkale' springs, which produce the famous white travertine terraces originate from this cave," D'Andria told Discovery News.
Featuring a vast array of abandoned broken ruins, possibly the result of earthquakes, the site revealed more ruins once it was excavated. The archaeologists found Ionic semi columns and, on top of them, an inscription with a dedication to the deities of the underworld - Pluto and Kore.
D'Andria also found the remains of a temple, a pool and a series of steps placed above the cave - all matching the descriptions of the site in ancient sources.
"People could watch the sacred rites from these steps, but they could not get to the area near the opening. Only the priests could stand in front of the portal," D'Andria said.
According to the archaeologist, there was a sort of touristic organization at the site. Small birds were given to pilgrims to test the deadly effects of the cave, while hallucinated priests sacrificed bulls to Pluto.
The ceremony included leading the animals into the cave, and dragging them out dead.
"We could see the cave's lethal properties during the excavation. Several birds died as they tried to get close to the warm opening, instantly killed by the carbon dioxide fumes," D'Andria said.
Only the eunuchs of Cybele, an ancient fertility goddess, were able to enter the hell gate without any apparent damage.
"They hold their breath as much as they can," Strabo wrote, adding that their immunity could have been due to their "menomation," "divine providence" or "certain physical powers that are antidotes against the vapor."
According to D'Andria, the site was a famous destination for rites of incubation. Pilgrims took the waters in the pool near the temple, slept not too far from the cave and received visions and prophecies, in a sort of oracle of Delphi effect. Indeed, the fumes coming from the depths of Hierapoli's phreatic groundwater produced hallucinations.
"This is an exceptional discovery as it confirms and clarifies the information we have from the ancient literary and historic sources," Alister Filippini, a researcher in Roman history at the Universities of Palermo, Italy, and Cologne, Germany, told Discovery News.
Fully functional until the 4th century AD, and occasionally visited during the following two centuries, the site represented "an important pilgrimage destination for the last pagan intellectuals of the Late Antiquity," Filippini said.
During the 6th century AD, the Plutonium was obliterated by the Christians. Earthquakes may have then completed the destruction.
D'Andria and his team are now working on the digital reconstruction of the site.
Naij.com

Pimp Forces His 13 Year-Old Prostitute To Tattoo His Name On Her Eyelids



PIMPWhen a 13-year-old prostitute tried to leave her pimp, the Miami man forced her to tattoo his street name on her eyelids.
The teenager now has her torturer’s nickname, Suave, on her right eyelid. On her left eyelid, she was inked with the word House, suggesting that she belonged to him.
Suave, known formally as Roman Thomas III, was arrested last Monday by Miami police. The 26-year-old and a female accomplice, Shanteria Sanders, “compelled and coerced” the young girl into becoming a prostitute, giving her drugs to keep her obedient.
Nicknamed Sparkle, the teen ran away from a turbulent home. She met Thomas on March 12 at the USA Flea Market in Miami. One day later, he saw her again and convinced her to come home with him. He was living at the Miami Shores Motel. It was there that Thomas and Sanders took “provocative” photos of the girl, uploading them to the classifieds section on Backpage.com. Sparkle was advertised as the “new girl,” according to police reports.
Thomas and Sanders then forced the 13-year-old to become a prostitute. They gave her condoms and taught her how to speak with customers. They used drugs to keep Sparkle dependent on them — alcohol, marijuana and “Molly,” a form of MDMA. When johns came to the motel asking for her services, Thomas and Sanders charged them up to $100 per hour and counted the cash after every visit.
Once, when the two realized that some money was missing, they duct-taped the young girl and “threatened to kill her.”
After Sparkle threatened to run away, Thomas and Sanders hauled her back to the Flea Market, where she was tattooed.
“It’s outrageous that this girl would be branded for life at such an early age, on of all places her eyelids,” investigator Lt. Jose Alfonso told the Miami Herald.
Sanders, 23, also bears Thomas’ mark on her body. The word “Suave” is tattooed across her chest.
Thomas was already serving five years of probation when Miami police took him into custody. He spent four years in prison for having s*x with a minor. He was released in September with a GPS monitor strapped to his ankle. On March 10, Miami police received a warning from the device that the bracelet had been removed. That was just two days before he met Sparkle.
The young girl’s mother managed to track her down, directing Miami police to her pimp.
Sparkle is now receiving therapy from Project GOLD, a branch of the non-profit Kristi House that helps sexually exploited children deal with the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual repercussions of being abused.
Both Thomas and Sanders face charges of human trafficking, false imprisonment, lewd and lascivious exhibition and delivery of a controlled substance to a child.
InformationNigeria

Insecurity: Ex-Militant Leaders Give FG Seven-Day Ultimatum



The repentant Niger Delta warlords have faulted the amnesty process, alleging that it has been hijacked by people who did not mean well for the region. The ex-militant leaders also gave seven days ultimatum to the Federal Government to restore security in the country.
In a communique issued yesterday evening and signed by some persons including Commander Bestman Probel, the ex-militants speaking under the aegis of Niger Delta in Partnership with Social Restoration Foundation (SOREF), said they were not happy at the turn of events.
“We hereby issue this communiqué to buttress our points that the whole amnesty process has been skewed. We have been brainstorming on the way forward and came up with the following conclusion: amnesty process has been hijacked by persons who do not mean well for the youths of the Delta.
“This is because most of the people who are being trained and empowered by the present amnesty committee have nothing to do with the struggle that culminated in the blanket amnesty issued by late president Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in 2009, at least 80 percent were not part.”
They alleged that, “the members of the committee bring in relatives and friends and people they owe favour short-changing the real fighters. We hereby condemn this action and call for an independent investigation to confirm this.
“The few genuine fighters that have been trained have not been properly re-integrated into the society as they are training and not to be able to put food on their table or secure them gainful employment.”
This portends grave consequences as the people have no other means of livelihood even as NDDC has vehemently refused to listen to the boys except some few leaders. We condemn this in totality because the Niger Delta belongs to us all and not just few persons.
“The foremost lieutenants in the struggle have not been trained or benefitted from the process so far. All attempts to secure such training have been futile in form of insensitivity on the part of the people handling the amnesty process.
“The committee only trained people to become artisans and low income earners. If you wish to go for a degree programme or masters, you wait without success even after fulfilling all requirements and passing necessary exams.”
The question now is, do these committee members really mean well for the people of the Niger Delta? Do we remain poorly informed and poorly educated for the rest of our lives even after having this opportunity?
“We therefore call on the Federal Government to take a critical look into the processes leading to such trainings to verify our claims and nip in the bud these evil practices going on in the amnesty office in Abuja.
“The process has been so mismanaged to the point that even the monthly stipend meant for the boys is being shared by most leaders and their accomplices in the amnesty office. They have their allowances being shortchanged by the same system that was meant to empower them. We have uncovered the syndicate whose specialty is to slash the monthly stipend of the ex-agitators.
“We hope that our findings be properly investigated and punitive measures meted.
“Lastly and most importantly, we wish to sternly warn all ethnic militias threatening the peace of the nation, especially the Boko Boys that ours was not an ethnic agenda and that all ethnic nationalities have the constitutional rights to rule this country.
“We hereby issue an ultimatum of seven days to the Federal Government of Nigeria to look into these issues raised to forestall the breakdown of law and order and sustain the peace, tranquility and the ambient business environment enjoyed in the Delta today.”
Naij.com