Saturday 8 March 2014

Obj @ 77: No Record for my Real Birthday- Says Obasanjo


Obj @ 77: No Record for my Real Birthday- Says Obasanjo
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo who was 77 year-old today (Wednesday) confessed that he had no real record of his birthday.
Obasanjo said he could not give an actual date of his birth, attributing it to his parent’s inability to have it documented.
The ex-president spoke at his 77th birthday ceremony held at the ampi-theatre Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
Obasanjo, who took a retrospective look at his life, admitted that God had been gracious to him despite his shortcomings.
He promised to make concrete revelation on the matter very soon.
He also thanked God for making him relevant and important towards contributing to the condition of the country.
“Sooner than later, the cat will be let out of the bag by myself but one thing that is clear is that I was born, there is no doubt about that.
“Another thing that is clear and that I was told by my mother that I was actually born on Ifo market day because according to her in our village, she had prepared to go to Ifo market and Ifo market is every five days.
“And then she was under labour. Before those who went to Ifo market had come back, I was born. I know and she knew I was born on Ifo market day. Don’t ask me what year or month. Whether I know the exact date or not, I think God has made my path to be glorious.
“There are those of us like me who have no real record of birth like me. I want to thank God once again for what He has done in my life. Whether I know the exact date of my birth or not, I think God has made my birth glorious”.
“There are some people including me who do not know their exact birthday.
“I am grateful to God and I cannot thank God enough for all He has done, for all that He is doing and all that I know He will continue to do in my life.
“For making me to be a source of blessing to others, for making me to be a participant in areas that are of relevance and importance in the life of this country, Africa and indeed in the world”.
Obasanjo however, assured that there is still hope for Nigeria to realise the goals and aspirations of her fore-fathers.
He said, “when you listen to these younger ones, you cannot but agree that there is hope for this country. When you hear them and listen to them, you will feel proud.
“Here we have two organisations that are working together not only to give hope, not only to raise expectation for the up and coming in Africa but to make sure that tomorrow will be better than today. And in those children, I am assure personally that tomorrow is better than today”.
Meanwhile, Obasanjo has said that the Senator Ibikunle Amosun-led administration in the state has performed fairly good.
“Normally I don’t like to say thing about politicians especially when they are still in power. It is only when politicians have been out of power that you can assess them accurately but this one,
“I will stick out my neck a little bit. So far, so fairly good. Those of you who were here in Ogun state will testify. Even if you belong to a party which doesn’t like the governor, you must say yes I didn’t like”, he said.
Earlier in his remarks, Amosun described Obasanjo as one of the greatest products of the state at the global stage.
Co-Chairmen of the library, Dr. Christopher Kolade and Amb. Carl Masters in their separate remarks, said Obasanjo remained one of the most revered African leaders.
Dignatories at event included Sierra Leonian Minister for Education, Science and Technology, Dr. Minkailu Bah, former Governor of Ekiti State, Engr. Segun Oni, former Minister of Education, Prof. Babalola Borisade, Prof. Akin Mabogunje, Olowu of Owu, Oba Adegboyega Dosunmu, Osile of Oke-Ona Egba, Oba (Dr.) Adedapo Tejuoso amongst others.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Easyblaze
VANGUARD

No comments:

Post a Comment