Google+ Followers

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Boko Haram Planning Massive Attacks In Abuja – FG


The federal government has revealed a plot by the Boko Haram insurgents to carry out a massive attack in different locations in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Coordinator of the National Information Centre and Director General of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mr Mike Omeri, made the revelation yesterday during a media briefing on the update of the fight against insurgency and effort to rescue the abducted Chibok schoolgirls.
According to Omeri, the insurgents plan to hijack fully loaded petro tankers from their drivers, plant explosives in them and move the vehicles to destinations where they are expected to cause monumental destruction of life and property.
“The Nigerian security services have received intelligence report to the effect that insurgents intend seizing petrol tankers and planting Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) in the tankers and driving them to crowed places in Abuja,” Omeri said.
The NOA boss urged members of Petrol Tankers’ Association to be on red alert and advised them to report any attempt or seizure of their vehicles to the security agencies. Citizens were also advised to report any broken down tanker in any part of the territory to security agencies.
“We are using this opportunity to appeal to the public to be on the alert particularly when they see any tanker driving dangerously,” he said.
The spokesman for the Department of State Services, Ms Marilyn Ogar reacted to the suspected insurgents arrested in Abia State, saying they were actually 491, including five infants and five women.
Omeri described the suspects as travellers, and said the arrest was not targeted at any group of persons or individuals.
He revealed that during interrogation of the suspects, a notorious insurgent who had been profiled by the DSS since 2007 and had been on the agency’s watch-list was identified.
“This led to further questioning of the large movement of persons travelling in a convoy of over 30 buses with none of them having up to N1,000 on them,” he said.

US Approves Fresh $18m To Fight Boko Haram
The United States government has approved a fresh $18 Million to fight Boko Haram and other terrorists groups in the entire Africa continent.
This was contained in a press statement which was obtained by our correspondent from the office of the United States Reward for Justice.
The statement made it known that the US has placed a $5 million bounty on Barnawi, a leader of the Nigeria-based terrorist group known as Ansaru, who is also a former senior member of the Boko Haram sect.
Apart from the $5 million bounty which was put on each of the two deadly Nigerien terrorists, Hamad el Khairy and Ahmed el Tilemsi, the United States Reward for Justice also declared a reward of $3 million for whoever gives useful information that can lead to the arrest of an Egyptian, Abu-Yusuf al-Muhajir, who specializes in making explosives for terrorists in Africa.

Stop Indiscriminate Arrest Of Northerners – ACF
Apparently disturbed by the arrest of 486 northerners in Abia State, the northern apex socio-cultural organisation, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), has warned of the dangers of indiscriminate arrest of northerners in some parts of the country under disguise of looking for Boko Haram members.
According to the ACF, it is unlawful to arrest 486 northerners who were in pursuit of their legitimate means of livelihood in the South on the allegation that they are members of the outlawed Boko Haram sect because of their faith, origin and appearance.
ACF in a statement signed by its spokesman, Muhammad Ibrahim, said, “This indiscriminate act of arrest based on faith and origin negates the spirit of one Nigeria and equally violates their freedom of movement and association as guaranteed in the Nigerian Constitution.”
“ACF therefore calls on the relevant authorities and in particular the Abia State Government to exercise caution on the alleged arrest of Jigawa indigenes on suspicion of being Boko Haram members, lest such an action make some people of a particular faith and origin become foreigners in their fatherland.

Russia Backs Nigeria’s War Against Terror
Abuja, June 13, 2014 Russia has expressed its support and solidarity with the Federal Government in its fight against insurgency and associated security challenges.
The Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Nikolay Udovichenko, said this in his address on the National Day of the Russian Federation, Thursday.
“We know, from our own experience, how important it is to stand together in the fight against terrorism. Our country is ready as it has always been, to lend a hand to Nigeria in this struggle,’’ he said.
Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment